Best Diet For Diabetes: List of Foods That Lower Blood Sugar
Deciding what to eat when you have diabetes becomes a tough task, isn’t it? While you may always be sceptical of which food item may adversely affect your blood sugar level, it is normal to go through years of trials and errors before finding out what really works for you when it comes to finalizing the best diet for diabetes. Since everybody is unique, it is always better to opt for a personalized way of creating your own diet or a list of food items that can regulate your blood sugar.
Now, how do you go about creating your own prediabetes diet or any other diet chart? Genetic testing by analyzing your genes in detail can help you understand the very basic foundation of your body and also recommend the food items that suit you.
If all this seems daunting to you right now, fret not! Here is a comprehensive list of food items that would suit all types or stages of diabetes.
Diet for Diabetic Patient: An Overview
If you are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes—or even prediabetes—then it is a clear signal that you must make some changes to your diet. It may not completely mean to give up the joy of eating your favourite foods or skipping lavish family dinners, but it's all just about becoming a bit wiser on how to manage your eating habits, i.e create your own Type 2 diabetes diet.
An effective diet for diabetic patients must include a variety of healthy foods from all food groups. Wondering why? Because your body needs considerable amounts of all kinds of nutrients and vitamins to regulate diabetes including:
- Whole grains - wild rice, quinoa, millet, cornmeal, barley
- Meats, poultry, and fish such as tofu, skinless turkey breast, tuna
- Dressings, dips, spices, and condiments- vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salsa
- Dessert foods- dessert made with sugar-free gelatin, 100% fruit popsicles, fruit-based desserts
- Snacks- carrot or celery sticks with hummus, home-made popcorn, but not premade or sweetened varieties
- Drinks- low-fat or skimmed milk, sparkling water, unsweetened plant-based milks, coffee
List of Food Items that Lower Blood Sugar
Factors like physical activity, body weight, and genetics play a vital role in maintaining or lowering your blood sugar. But, it is a well-planned diet that takes you close to maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
While some food items that are rich in added sugar and refined carbs, can lead to blood sugar fluctuations, others can regulate blood sugar control and promote your overall health.
Below-mentioned is the list of food that lower blood sugar and you can duly include them in your daily diet:
- Beans:Rich in fibers, beans help you feel full for longer periods. Although they contain carbohydrates, the significant amount of dietary fiber, protein, and other nutrients help in lowering down the glycemic index rating.
- Berries:Consisting of a natural sugar called fructose which does not need to be metabolized, your body can accommodate this fruit. Keeping this in mind, you can surely count it in your list of foods that lower blood sugar. Since, every human body is unique, you can monitor the quantity that works best for you.
- Pumpkin:This is another great choice for controlling blood sugar. Since pumpkin is rich in fiber and antioxidants, countries like Mexico and Iran also use it as a traditional diabetic remedy. This further testifies the fact that pumpkin extracts and powders significantly reduce blood sugar levels.
If you aren’t really a pumpkin fan, then you can also consider pumpkin seeds as they come handy with healthy fats and proteins, thus making them an excellent candidate to be included in the foods for diabetic patients.
- Broccoli: This superfood is too healthy to be ignored. It is a storehouse of fiber, minerals, vitamins and other nutrients which can help lower the blood sugar level. With a low value of 10 on GI scales, your body can easily digest it. You can also go for broccoli sprouts as they effectively promote insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes.
- Spinach:Hailed as the powerhouse of energy, this all season vegetable is an excellent source of dietary fibers, folate, chlorophyll, manganese, calcium, potassium, vitamins, zinc, protein, and carotene. With its glycemic index almost at 0, it is really effective in helping diabetic patients stabilize their blood sugar levels. Never liked eating spinach? Well, you must start eating it now!
- Oatmeal:This is considered as one of the best foods for diabetes as it consists of highly soluble fiber and whole grains that have significant blood-sugar-reducing properties. You would be astounded to discover that oat intake significantly reduces HbA1c and fasting blood sugar levels.
- Lentils:Extensively rich in fiber, minerals and vitamins, lentils can surely be a part of the best diet for diabetes. With its Glycemic index at 30, it has slowly made its way to the blood sugar conscious diet.
For instance: if you add black beans or chickpeas to your rice meal you can reduce post-meal blood sugar levels, in comparison to just eating rice alone.
- Nuts:What if we tell you that eating nuts every day could help control type 2 diabetes? Yes, you read it right.
Nuts, if made a part of the diet for diabetic patients can surely work wonders in lowering blood sugar due to its lower glycemic index ranging between 14 to 21. Since they consist of relatively minimal amounts of carbohydrates as compared to other daily snacks, it is always favorable to consume them.
- Apple:The adage, ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away’ holds true even till date, especially when it comes to controlling the blood sugar. Rich in fiber, vitamin and minerals, it has a lower glycemic index of 39. If you are preparing a list of foods that lower blood sugar, do count apples in. Did you grab an apple today? If not, do it now.
- Seafood:You can also consider seafood, including fish and shellfish as they are a valuable source of protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants as good foods for diabetes.
As a diabetic patient, you must eat food that aids digestion and prevents post-meal blood sugar spikes. Fatty fishes like salmon or sardines fit into that criteria as they further provide a sense of full stomach, thus preventing overeating.
Now that you have skimmed through it all, you know what all must be included in the best diet for diabetes. There are many other food items such as legumes, garlic, sweet potato, yam, avocado, chia seeds that can help you regulate your blood sugar levels and also ensure holistic development of your body.
But, if you want to go a notch higher in regulating your overall health, then MyMicrobiome test can lead you the right way. Wondering how?
Well, it analyzes your gut in a kaleidoscopic view and provides you a comprehensive list of foods that you must consume to combat various diseases. In other words, you would get a detailed list of foods that lower your blood sugar, depending on your gut analysis.
Bione by incorporating Next-Generation Sequencing, provides personalized microbiome and genetic testing. It is Asia’s first direct-to-consumer genetic testing organization, founded by Dr. Surendra K Chikara, the first person to mark genomic testing on the Indian map.