Genes, DNA and Genetic Testing: A View
Have you ever thought about why your skin colour, eyes or nose is just like one of your parents? It is all because of the genes we get from them. Genes carry the entire information on how an individual will grow and develop right from the stage of an embryo to an adult. Let us start from a human cell-
The human body is made up of about 100 trillion cells. Although each cell is like a factory with thousands of complex machines carrying out different functions, the cell is so tiny that you can see it only with the help of a microscope. Each cell has a nucleus that is the command centre or brain of the cell. Inside the nucleus of each cell of your body is DNA or Deoxyribonucleic acid; the complete set of instructions for making you. DNA is made up of 4 chemical bases- Adenine, Thymine, Cytosine and Guanine or A, T, G, C bases. These bases combine with each other to make base pairs. Entire DNA is stored in the cell in the form of thread-like structures called chromosomes. There are 23 pairs of chromosomes in each cell of the human body.
The functional unit of DNA which codes for a specific protein is a gene. Human beings have around 20000 to 25,000 genes. Genes are like an instruction book that decide how we look, grow and function. Almost everything is decided by genes- your complexion, facial features, hair, height, voice etc.
Genetic testing - Why should I go for it?
Genetic testing is a form of medical testing in which some sort of sample like saliva, blood or hair is collected and sent to a lab where your DNA is analysed or tested by scientists. In simple words, the study of your genes and DNA by scientists is called Genetic testing.
You should go for genetic testing if you want to:
- Remove uncertainty from your life about your health, fitness and diseases
- Get thorough and easy to use genetic interpretations to understand various factors affecting your health
- Reveal the secrets hidden in your DNA about your health and shape your life accordingly
- Get unequalled insight into diet, nutrition, fitness and well-being
- Improve your fitness level with the help of genomic counselling which is tailor-made according to your unique body requirements
- Take action today to prevent various lifestyle diseases tomorrow
- Find out what level of risk you have for serious conditions like cancer, heart diseases, kidney issues etc.
Benefits of genetic testing
- It tells you what information is coded in your unique genes about your health and well being
- Knowledge about your genetic profile helps you in optimizing your everyday life to achieve your health goals
- It gives you the power of planning future lifestyle choices to reduce the risk of various diseases
- It clears all your doubts about why certain foods are good for others and not for you or vice versa
Why choose Bione for Microbiome and Genetic testing?
Bione is the first and only organisation offering Personalised Genetic and Microbiome testing services in India. We aim to educate people about the health benefits of genetic and microbiome testing and make it accessible to everyone. We want to make preventive healthcare a normal part of everybody’s lifestyle. For this, we are using the latest technology to provide best and most comprehensive DNA test reports which give thorough insights of your health, fitness and wellness.
Bione has been co-founded by Dr Surendra K Chikara, who is a world-renowned Genomicist. He is the first person to bring Microbiome & Genetic testing to India and has over two decades of experience in the field of Applied Genomics, Clinical Genetics & Medical Exome Sequencing.